Friday, January 13, 2012

Blood clot

Stupid Friday the 13th...I shouldn't have made that crappy "ominous" joke yesterday. My dad had an appointment with the medical oncologist today. We decided to go through one more round of chemo, starting Monday. Afterwards we'll get another CT scan to assess the situation. My mom, again, brought up the swelling in his left angle. He's actually had this swelling since November, I'd say. I also feel like I brought it up every time I saw a doctor, but no one seemed concerned or ordered an ultrasound today. I feel upset about that, but perhaps it's my fault for not making a bigger deal of it.

At any rate, my dad went back to Birchwood after the oncologist, in time to catch a visitor! John worked with my dad in Cadillac AND in Muskegon. It's pretty cool that he was able to stop by for a visit, despite the snow. At 4:30pm my dad returned to the hospital for the ultrasound, and it was immediately determined that my dad has a sizable clot in his left leg. He has been admitted to the hospital (Munson), where my mom and I are currently helping with dinner. He's getting some blood thinners. I guess it's common to get clots if you have cancer, but the thinning medication can really cause problems with excessive bleeding if he happens to injure himself. I'm not sure how long he'll be here, but of course I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment