Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thursday, Oct. 20, 2011

Today was a great day! My dad was very talkative, and he was awake the ENTIRE time I was with him -- from 2pm until 9pm. This is the first time in a week that he hasn't fallen asleep while I was with him. Maybe I should take a hint...

I seized this opportunity today to show him all of the beautiful cards he has been receiving from his friends and family who can't be close. I also asked him about a million important questions, and I was grateful that I was able to receive some important answers. Most importantly, he gave the thumbs up when I asked whether he wanted to proceed with radiation treatment or not. I asked him twice: once at the beginning of my visit and once at the end. I used a thumbs-up/thumbs-down method, where he would give a thumbs-up for "yes" and thumbs-down for no. I asked quite a few questions about treatment and other things, and he gave a solid thumbs-up each time. To test whether he really understood my system, though, at the end I asked, "Are you Catholic?" Thumbs-down, immediately; he definitely knew what he was doing. :)

For dinner, my boyfriend, Chad, stopped by with our dog, Asha, who enjoyed eating the cookie crumbs off of my dad's lap. (The best thing about the nursing home is the evening snacks.) Today was a happy day.

7 comments:

  1. So glad to hear he had a good day yesterday. Do you think he would let you post a picture? Please give him hugs from all our IHN families. Let him know things are going well, but we miss him. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Sherm- we have been talking about you all week; Bob included you prominently in his prayer last Sunday, and we have a C3 card on its way! We think of you, send you all our strength and love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sherm, it's kAren Gostlin from C3. Thanks for the pizza and beer this summer at the Mill Point Park concert series. You are a kind and funny man, and we all miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo!! Good to see you again, Sherm!! Try not to overdo the UofM fashion, eh?! :-). Sending lots of love and smiles your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this, Nora! Sherm has been a good friend to me and my family at C3! We miss him! Hugs from Becky, Chris, Douglas,James and Zoe VanBennekom. We are sending our best wishes for health and strength to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the shirt and hat! We are thinking about you. Glad to hear it was a good day. Greg and Tina.

    ReplyDelete