Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday, Oct. 21: Orchestra Concert!

Tonight my dad was pretty tired. He had visitors, Destinee and her husband, but I think he slept through it. In fact, he was still sleeping when I got to see him after work, at 5:30. Still, I packed him up and took him to my school to eat dinner and see the orchestra concert. When I pulled onto our campus, he knew exactly where we were. That was great. He also seemed to really enjoy the concert, which was good, since it was phenomenal. The conductor's wife came by to say hi afterwards, and my dad said the concert was "excellent."
 

He was pretty tired and VERY quiet today, though...much different from yesterday. Perhaps he'll sleep a lot and store up for one very energetic day every once and a while. Today he spoke very faintly, and I had to remind him of a trick that the speech therapist has been working on with him: he needs to take a deep breath before he speaks, so that he exhales with a little more force, gets a little more breath support, and gains a little volume. It helps. You should try to remind him to take a deep breath if you're talking with him and can't hear what he's saying.

One of my aunts (my mom's youngest sister) and her husband arrive tomorrow, as will my brother. My sister and mom are arriving on Sunday. I think Cathy will also be coming to visit my dad tomorrow. That's excellent! The more, the merrier, I say.

2 comments:

  1. What a nice outing! Looks like you enjoyed the concert! Hope you had a good visit with Destinee. Cathy and Phil are planning a visit today, too. One of our IHN families moved into a house yesterday, YAY!! Kevin went to the Church this morning to help cook pancakes (with Karen) and then take the families to Muskegon. He enjoys driving that big van! Take care and rest up...sounds like you'll be busy for the next few days. Keep smiling, Sherm! Hugs. Patti

    PS Nora, take care of yourself, too. You're an amazing caregiver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are spending a lot of time together. That's great. Keep your chin up and say hi to the family for me. ~ Jen

    ReplyDelete