Thursday, October 27, 2011

Monday, Oct. 24: David Sedaris

Tonight, I brought my dad to see David Sedaris at the City Opera House here in Traverse City. I had bought tickets for my boyfriend and me (I LOOOOVE David Sedaris), but on Sunday Chad realized he wouldn't be able to go. I tried to think of who else would appreciate the ticket, and I thought my dad was the perfect candidate.

In fact, he's the person who first introduced me to David Sedaris. I remember my dad being a camp counselor at my high school band camp, and even more vividly, I remember being mortified that my dad carried a book called Naked everywhere he went. I didn't want my new high school friends thinking that my dad openly read smut. ha!

My aunt, uncle, mom, and sister helped me load my dad into the car. My dad was pretty sleepy on the way over, but he definitely woke up when Sedaris took the stage. He read a lot of new stuff, and he was hilarious, as always. I really enjoyed it, and I think my dad did, too. I seriously caught him smiling a few times! Afterwards, we waited in line to have Sedaris sign my copy of Me Talk Pretty One Day. I wish I'd had the foresight to have brought Naked with me from Norton Shores when I brought my dad. Oh well. I guess Sedaris signs every last copy for every last person in line; his longest signing so far has taken 9 hours! My dad and I only had to wait an hour, but I have to admit that I felt guilty the entire time that I was keeping my dad up late doing something boring like waiting in line. Sedaris was entirely charming, but I was so nervous and felt so guilty that I didn't spend much time chatting at the table. By the time we got back to Birchwood, it was 11pm, and my dad hadn't even eaten dinner yet. It was bittersweet, but I hope my dad enjoyed the night.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Several people in the C3 Vook Club went to see/hear David Sedaris in Muskegon last night

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nora, what a fun evening for you both! I KNOW your dad loved it. I can just see him walking around band camp with that book!! Funny!

    ReplyDelete